• Banner 1

    Looking down the 3rd fairway. 2nd tee in distance.

  • Banner 2

    View of 16th green looking back down fairway.

  • Banner 3

    It maybe short but the 10th offers plenty of green side protection.

  • Banner 4

    The 11th green is a small target even for those with a wedge in their hands.

History of Inverurie Golf Club

Inverurie Golf Club was formed on the 16 January 1923. The elected President was Provost Taylor, the Vice-president Baillie Angus, the Captain Mr. A.W. Gray and the Secretary/Treasurer Capt. J. Murray. The other office bearers were Messrs James Souter, Edmond Duncan, Dr. Forbes, J.J. Watson, E.E.Jones, A.I.Alexander, John Walker, James Robb and Robert W. Robertson.

A public meeting was held in the Market Hall that was 'filled with a large and representative number of enthusiastic golfers numbering nearly 100'. At this meeting it was explained 'that after negotiations, the Town Council had purchased the farm of Upper Boat (for about £4000) and the Kellands . . . and thus made it possible sufficient ground for the laying out of a golf course'. They were 'particularly indebted to the Council, and in particular ex-Provost Skinner, for the assistance he had given, more especially in view of the fact that he was not a golfer!!'

The annual membership subscriptions were fixed at 'Gentlemen £1 1/- (a guinea) and for Ladies 15/-, juveniles, under 16 years of age, 10/6'. (these translate now to £1.05, 75p and 52.5p).

J. Murray, a retired Inverurie farmer, was engaged to 'superintend the laying out of the course at £2 10/- per week (£2.50)'. The site of the clubhouse was to be the NE corner of the Kellands near the 1st tee and last green. The estimated cost 'was in the neighbourhood of £700 but of that £250 consisted of Plumber work. After consideration it was decided to delay the erection till next year'.

This was reported in the Aberdeen Press and Journal as 'The want of a golf course in the burgh has been a long felt one, and as a result of the meeting a club has been formed and the course is to be proceeded with at once. It is expected that, with the laying out of temporary greens, play will be commenced early in May. The People's Journal also reported that 'the area of ground was about 100 acres rented at the modest cost of £10 per annum. To date the golf club have spent £245 on laying out the first nine holes'.

The People's Journal later reported that ' the tees have been turfed, but only three of the greens in connection with the first nine holes will require attention. Six of the greens have been treated with chemicals and manure in a skilled way and such good surfaces have been obtained that turfing will not be necessary. J.Murray and the three men who are working under his supervision are doing everything possible to make it attractive. They are to push ahead with the work of making the course an 18 hole one'.

A Ladies committee was formed on 23-January-1923 consisting of the following ladies: 'Misses Panton, Low, Walker, Duncan, Murray and Urquhart'.

Meetings were held on 16th, 19th, 23rd, 27th and 30th January 1923 to progress all these activities including raising funds with a whist drive and dance towards the repair of the private access road. 'An application by Mr Macpherson BSc of the British Sulphate of Ammonium Federation asking for permission to experiment and treat one of the greens was approved. the last green was allocated for treatment.' Permission was also granted to purchase and erect a Nissen hut for shelter and to get estimates for 'horse and motor mowers'. Messrs Watson and Gray, with the Secretary, were deputed 'to see and possibly buy a second hand mower from Pittodrie (Aberdeen FC)'.

Fees were fixed at 1/- (daily), 3/6 (weekly), 5/- (two weeks) and 7/6 (monthly) (5p, 17.5p, 25p and 37.5p).

The full nine holes were opened on the 1-June-1923. On the 24-August-1923, an overdraft agreement of £200 was agreed with the Union Bank of Scotland including the 'the present overdraft of nineteen pounds, one shilling and sixpence!' In order to raise funds, it was proposed that a sale of work be held in June 1924 over two days with 'stalls of tea, plain goods, fancy goods, cake and candy, fruit and flower and toys'.

 

History of the Golf, later Professional Shop, at Inverurie Golf Club

The initial Inverurie Golf Shop at Inverurie Golf Club was set up in 1976 following an agreement between Inverurie Golf Club and Ellis Hood and his wife Pat, both active Club members. At that time the lands were still owned by Gordon District Council(GDC) and tenanted by Inverurie Golf Club so that the initial lease was between the Hoods and GDC. The shop was sited on land now occupied by the 1st tee of the new Golf Course and was for an area of '157 square metres and 5000 square centimetres'. The lease took over land that had been granted to the Golf Club in 1923 and was for a period of 35 years from 1-April-1976 (Interesting that if the Shop had been in its original site the lease would have expired on 1-April-2011!).

The next owners were Leslie and Bess Smith, followed by Bill and Dorothy Lovie and their son Patrick. The first Professional was Howard Ferguson working with the Lovies, followed in turn by Mark Lees, John Logue and the present Professional Steven McLean. The original Shop was removed and the new Professional Shop incorporated into the new Clubhouse when it was extended in 2005.

 

Current Course Records at Inverurie Golf Club

(as of 23rd September 2013)

Ladies - 67 - Julie Henderson - 27th May 2003
1-4, 2-4, 3-3, 4-3, 5-5, 6-5, 7-3, 8-4, 9-4 Out 35
10-3, 11-3, 12-4, 13-3, 14-4, 15-3, 16-4, 17-4, 18-4 In 32 Total 67

Mens - 63 - Cameron Glennie - 25th May 2013
1-4, 2-3, 3-4, 4-3, 5-5, 6-4, 7-2, 8-4, 9-3 Out 32
10-2, 11-4, 12-4, 13-3, 14-4, 15-3, 16-4, 17-4, 18-3 In 31 Total 63

Professional - 63 - Colin Gillies 17th August 2001
1-4, 2-4, 3-4, 4-3, 5-4, 6-3, 7-3, 8-4, 9-4 Out 33
10-2, 11-4, 12-3, 13-3, 14-3, 15-3, 16-4, 17-4, 18-4 In 30 Total 63

You are here: Home ABOUT US History of Inverurie Golf Club